Make the Call...(330) 364-6648
1110 Tuscarawas Avenue NW, New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663
Selling a home is stressful enough, but selling one in winter comes with its own challenges. Dark evenings make it hard for buyers to get a good look at your home and winter weather means buyers are sometimes frustrated before they ever step foot inside. But there are a few simple things you can do to help your home put its best foot forward and maximize those offers.
1. Keep snow and ice away. If the buyer can’t get around the outside of your house easily, they will be less likely to make an offer. While you’re clearing off the driveway and the path to the front door, don’t forget to clear off the back porch or deck. Make it easy for people to explore your property.
2. Pay attention to the entry way. The first thing potential buyers will see when they step inside your home shouldn’t be a pile of boots and coats sitting in a puddle of melted snow. Make sure to have mats inside and outside for them to wipe their shoes and boots. Also put away your own shoes to help the room look more open and less cluttered.
3. Adjust the thermostat. If you keep the temperature down during the winter to save on your heating bills, crank it back up before someone comes to look at your house. Everything feels cold and uninviting during the winter. Make sure your home is a warm haven in a sea of winter.
4. Turn on all the lights. Winter is dark enough in Ohio. A well-lit home will scream out warm and welcoming, and make it easier for them to get a good look at your house.
5. Pay attention to smells. Since houses are buttoned up all winter, smells tend to linger. Avoid cooking foods with strong odors before a showing. Instead, use scent to your advantage. In one study, researchers discovered that some scents caused shoppers to spend 20% more money in retail stores. Some great ideas include making chocolate chip cookies (a perennial favorite), cinnamon rolls, fresh bread, apple pie or anything with vanilla, cinnamon or yeast. Just don’t overdo it. Don’t make home seekers wonder what you’re hiding behind a wall of air fresheners.
With a little preparation, you can use winter viewings to your advantage. There are less homes on the market in the winter, which means that helping your house to make the best possible impression can pay off big! If you’re interested in seeing what other people are doing to show off their homes in the winter, check out our open houses.
1110 Tuscarawas Avenue NW
New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663
Phone: (330) 364-6648
Fax: (330) 364-2355